NANOG 41, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 14-16 2007
General Meeting Information
Airport, Ground Transportation
- Information on Albuquerque International Sunport
- Despite the similar name, the independently operated Sunport Shuttle is available for $10.00 one way, additional $5.00 per person in a group. ($18.00 Round Trip) Call 505-883-4966 for information and schedules.
- A cab from the Sunport to the Hyatt generally runs around $20. Try Albuquerque Cab Company (505-883-4888) or Yellow Cab Company (505-247-888 or 505-243-7777)
Conference Hotel, Nearby Accomodations
- The Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is the primary meeting hotel.
- Nearby Accommodations:
|Venue||Phone||Distance||Approx Price (please edit as needed)|
|Hyatt Regency Albuquerque||(505) 842-1234||0 miles||$158 single/double|
|Doubletree Hotel Albuquerque||(505) 247-3344||0.1 miles||$189 and up|
|La Posada de Albuquerque||(505) 242-9090||0.2 miles||CLOSED|
|Embassy Suites||(505) 247-1083||0.1 miles||$184 and up|
|Hotel Blue||(505) 924-2400||0.3 miles||$99 and up|
|Silvermoon Lodge||(505) 243-1773||0.4 miles||sold out?|
- General information about Albuquerque
- Of course, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta wraps up the 14th, so if you arrive with time on Saturday or Sunday, you should check out their calendar of events.
[ recommendations from a local who prefers not to come to town ]
Pretty good espresso is in Hoffmantown shopping center in a bakery called Le Chantilly (a drive from downtown).
Good eats at Artichoke Cafe near downtown but a brisk walk.
Flying Star is generally a good place to eat on Silver and has good coffee (never tried the espresso in there - not even sure they have it). I think there might be one downtown closer to the hotel but not sure.
I don't spend too much time downtown unless called on for Jury Duty.
Annapurna (driving distance) (SIC?) Vitality Smoothy bar: haven't been to the establishment but they make excellent catered food (organic, veggie) - not sure of the hours.
Depending on you to google this stuff.
Anita's and Los Cuates have good mexican food you might want to call to see if they have Green Chile stew or soup. The Range in Bernalillo (town just north of Albuquerque) has great green chille soup (I can vouch for that).
THere is a range cafe on Menual near downtown I was just told.
Also Sadie's (google it I have never been) is supposed to be good mexican according to a freind here.
One more thing, that Standard Diner, next to the Artichoke cafe is also supposed to be good (per my wife).
Sports Bars for Division Baseball and English Rugby
Green Onion Sports Pub
Bars & Clubs
- Kellys Brew Pub. 505-262-BREW 3222 Central Ave. SE, about 2.5 miles down Route 66 from the conference hotel.
- Carom Club
- The Cigar Lounge
Arts & Culture
- Albuquerque Museum of Art & History
- American International Rattlesnake Museum
- Anderson - Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum
- Bandelier National Monument
- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
- KiMo Theatre
- National Atomic Musem
Sports & Outdoors
- Golf Courses
- Professional Sports Venues
NANOG Golf Club
There is typically a large contingent of golfers attending every NANOG, and we play weather permitting. We haul our own clubs and organize locally. We schedule Sunday morning as our first outing and play a "warm up" course in the afternoon during the week. We venture to a local "prestige" course and go toe to toe. Bring a camera, it's great fun! There is a potential Saturday afternoon 9, as well as an early AM Monday or Tuesday game somewhere close to the hotel. See the Internet Golf Society page or contact Jack Bitlaus. We are likely to have a game during meeting time, but work and Internet talk is on topic as well as business between our companies.
Contact Jack Bitlaus
NANOG Rock Climbing
There are things called mountains in this part of the country. If you are a local and have your own equipment, or are planning on bringing your shoes and harness please send a note to Jared. In a gym or outdoors, if you have interest in climbing (lead, top-rope) please speak up!